Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Journey To Chennai - Swathi Udhyakumar

My journey to Chennai began with my marriage. As I sat in my bus thinking about my destination, I had a strange feeling and a strong emotion towards my city, Bangalore. I had grown in this place; I had spent all my childhood and my adolescence in this garden city. As the bus started moving I had a feeling of insecurity, my heart started beating fast and my eyes started to wet, my insides where repelling and screaming “I don’t want to leave my city”, and these feelings subsided once my husband caught my hand and pulled my head towards his shoulder and asked me to rest; I felt some kind of magic in his touch and started feeling quite secured again. As I was resting on his shoulder, I started thinking again about my destination Chennai. My whole family, even the youngest member had warned me about Chennai’s climate, they had kept on telling me Chennai is very hot and humid and my younger sister had teased me saying “Next time when Swathi comes back she will be fully tanned to such an extent that we will not be able to recognize her”, this statement had actually created some kind of fear in me and Chennai’s climate became my big concern. My mom was so afraid about the climate to such an extent that she started advising me even when I was telling my last “bye” to her before leaving to Chennai. Being born and brought up in Bangalore, my main concern became Chennai’s climate. I kept on thinking how far I would adjust to this climate. Apart from the climate, I knew very less about Chennai. I knew Chennai is one of the metropolitan cities and in the past it was called as Madras and apart from this Chennai had beaches and Chennai was very dirty compared to Bangalore. My husband had been staying in Chennai for the past 3 months and had clearly warned me about eating on Chennai roads. As I was thinking about Chennai food and water, I suddenly remembered about the Cauvery issue between two states. Whenever someone confronted me about Karnataka government, not supplying enough water to Tamilnadu state, I had always fought with them. I drifted to sleep as I was thinking about my last fight regarding Cauvery issue with a relative who was from Tamilnadu. To be Cont…

7 comments:

  1. really wish you the best in your journey of life ahead..after marriage and in chennai..it is not at all difficult to get accustomed to any place in the world when you have your loved ones by your side.and more over it is our will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decently written, decent language. Bit of editing will help I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post.. I hope that your fears about Chennai comes down, and start loving it. Looks like you're emotionally hating Chennai - will soon change when you start realising the facts. Actually, apart from the heat, Chennai is a pretty great city to live in, when you know the right places to go and right friends/family to get around with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chennai for Women:

    Why: If you’re more of a sneaker person than heels, more inclined to natural beauty than concrete jungles, more traditional than modern, then Chennai is the right place for you. Besides it ranks highest in education so you’ll have less fools in your life to deal with!

    Safety quotient: In terms of safety, Chennai is the stand out city according to TOI-CREST-TNS 2010 poll. Almost 75% of women polled said they feel safe walking after dusk, and over 85% said they had never been harassed in a public place or on public transport.

    Travelling quotient: Buses, trains, and auto rickshaws are the most common form of public transport within the city. Usually the autos are metered, but it is good to fix the fare before they take you for a ride!

    Entertainment quotient: The city, being in the vicinity of the sea, is a paradise for water sport lovers. Other than that they have the usual amusement parks, cinema halls, discotheques, malls and bowling centers to keep you entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swathi Good luck to a new journey of life. I understand how you must have felt leaving back your city, relatives,friends.But believe me you will very soon start loving the place when you have your near and dear ones around you.
    And regarding the content good one...but can be polished with more interesting experience of yours

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again

    SEO Chennai

    ReplyDelete